French Onion Soup Grantineed with Cheese
* 1 1/2 lbs (about 5 cups or a little more) thinly sliced yellow onions
* 3 T. butter...
* 1 T. vegetable oil
* A heavy-bottomed, 4-quart covered saucepan
* 1 t. salt shopping list
* 1/4 t. sugar (helps the onions to brown)
* 3 T. flour
* 2 quarts boiling brown stock, purchased beef stock, or 1 quart of water and 1 quart of stock
* 1/2 c. dry white wine or dry white vermouth shopping list
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 oz. (about 3/4 c.) shredded swiss cheese shopping list
* 1 T. grated raw onion
* 8 to 10 rounds of hard toasted French bread (toast bread rounds in oven at 225 for 25 min.)
* For bread Rounds:
* 1 1/2 c. grated Swiss, or Swiss and parmesan cheese
* 1 T. olive oil or melted butter
* Cook the onions slowly with the butter and oil in the covered saucepan for 15 minutes.
* Uncover, raise heat to moderate, and stir in the salt and sugar. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes stirring frequently, until the onions have turned an even, deep, golden brown.
* Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
* Off heat, blend in the boiling liquid. Add the wine, and season to taste. Simmer partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes or more, skimming occasionally. Correct seasoning.
* Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
* Bring the soup to the boil and pour into a tureen or soup pots. Stir in the 3/4 c. shredded Swiss cheese and grated onion. Float the rounds of toast on top of the soup, and spread the grated cheese over it. Sprinkle with the oil or butter.
* Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, then set for a minute or two under a preheated broiler to brown the top lightly. Serve immediately.