Southern Style French Onion Soup
Southern Style French Onion Soup Recipe
A great French onion soup recipe to try !
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 onion, sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 5 (10.5 ounce) cans beef consomme
* 6 bay leaves
* 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
* 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2 inch slices
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place the onion in the butter and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the thyme and remove from heat.
3. In a large pot over high heat, combine the consomme, bay leaves and white wine, if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, stir in the sauteed onions and allow to heat through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Ladle soup into 4 individual oven-safe bowls, filling each about 3/4 of the way. Top each bowl with 2 slices of baguette bread and then cover each with the cheese.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. The French onion soup recipe is ready to serve hot...nice one !
Labels: french onion soup recipe